what proxy means ?
proxy mean Every computer connected to the internet has an IP (Internet Protocol) address that uniquely identifies it.
A proxy server, on the other hand, is a network machine with its own IP address.
However, there are situations when we need to access restricted websites or servers and do not want to reveal our identity (IP address).
In this case, the proxy server is turned on.
Using a proxy server, we may achieve the same result.
It offers various levels of functionality, security, and privacy, depending on the use case, organisational demands, or rules.
In this part, we’ll look at what a proxy server is, the many types of proxy servers and their benefits,
what are proxy servers ?
The proxy server is a computer connected to the internet that takes client requests and sends them to the destination server. It serves as a connecting point between the user and the internet. Its own Internet Protocol (IP) address is assigned to it. The client and web server are isolated from the rest of the network.
To put it another way, a proxy server allows us to visit any website using a different IP address. It serves as a conduit between users and the targeted websites or servers. In response to user requests, it collects and distributes data. A proxy server’s most crucial feature is that it does not encrypt communications.
A proxy server serves two major purposes:
- To keep the system’s origins hidden.
- To increase the speed of access to a resource by caching it.
The proxy server accepts the client’s request and responds according to the following criteria:
- If the requested data or page is already in the proxy server’s local cache, the client is not required to get it.
- The proxy server passes the request to the target server if the requested data or page does not exist in the local cache.
- The responses are sent to the client and cached by the proxy servers.
As a result, the proxy server may be described as both a client and a server.
Types of Proxy Servers
Proxy servers come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Forward and reverse proxy servers are the two most prevalent types of proxy servers. The other proxy server comes with its own set of features and benefits. Let’s take a closer look at each one.
- Open or Forward Proxy Server: It is the most well-known form of intermediate worker that the client encounters. An open or forward proxy server is a type of intermediary that receives requests from webb clients and then browses destinations to acquire the requested data. After gathering data from websites, it sends the information straight to internet users. It gets over the authorities’ firewall. The setup of a forward proxy is shown in the figure below.
- Split Proxy Server: It consists of two programmes that are installed on two separate PCs.
- Reverse Proxy Server: It is a proxy server that is installed in the neighborhood of multiple other internal resources. It validated and processes a transaction in such a way that the clients do not communicate directly. The most popular reverse proxies are Varnish and Squid. The following image shows the reverse proxy configuration.
- Transparent Proxy: It’s a proxy server that only modifies requests and responses to the extent necessary for proxy authentication and identification. It connects to the internet through port 80.
- Non-Transparent Proxy: It’s a middleman who modifies the client’s response to the solicitation in order to provide additional services. Web requests are sent directly from the intermediary, regardless of the worker from whom they originated.
- Hostile Proxy: It’s used to listen in on data traffic between the client machine and the web server.
- Intercepting Proxy Server: It combines a proxy server and a gateway in one package. It is often used in enterprises to prevent employees from circumventing permissible usage policies and to make management easier.
- Forced Proxy Server: It’s a mix of interception and non-interception policies.
- Caching Proxy Server: Client queries are serviced using previously stored material from prior requests, rather than connecting with the specified server.
- Web Proxy Server: A web proxy server is a proxy server that is dedicated to the internet.
- High Anonymity Proxy: In a request header, the proxy server that does not include the proxy server type and the client IP address. Clients who use the proxy are untraceable.
- Rotating Proxy: Each client connected to it is assigned a unique IP address. It’s great for people that conduct a lot of web scraping on a regular basis. It enables us to return to the same website on a regular basis. As a result, employing the rotating proxy necessitates greater attention.
- SSL Proxy Server: The data between the client and the server is decrypted. It means that data is encrypted both ways.Because proxy hides the fact that it exists from both the client and the server. It is best suited for enterprises who want to improve their threat prevention. The encrypted material is not cached in SSL proxy.
- Shared Proxy: A shared proxy server is one that is utilised by several users at the same time. It assigns the client an IP address that may be shared with other clients. It also allows users to choose the place from which they want to do their search. It’s perfect for people who don’t want to spend a lot of money on a fast internet connection. It has the benefit of being inexpensive. The negative is that a user may be held responsible for the misdeeds of others. As a result, the user may be barred from the site.
- Public Proxy: There is no charge for using a public proxy. It’s ideal for those who are concerned about money but not about security or speed. It moves at a leisurely pace most of the time. Using a public proxy puts the user at danger since information on the internet may be viewed by others.
- Residential Proxy: It gives a specific device an IP address. All of the client’s requests were routed through that device. It’s perfect for people who wish to double-check advertising that appear on their websites. We can filter undesirable and questionable adverts from rivals using the residential proxy server. The residential proxy server is more dependable than other proxy servers.
- Distorting Proxy: It differs from others in that it identifies itself as a website proxy while concealing its real identity. By supplying an erroneous IP address, the actual IP address is modified. It’s ideal for customers who don’t want to reveal their location when browsing.
- Data Center Proxy: It’s a unique form of proxy that isn’t connected to an ISP. Other corporations supply it through a data centre. Physical data centres are where these servers may be found. It’s perfect for clients that need answers quickly. It does not offer complete anonymity. As a result, it poses a significant danger to customer information.
- HTTP Proxy: HTTP proxies are proxy servers that save cache files from websites that are being viewed. Because cached files exist in local memory, it saves time and improves performance. If the user requests the same file again, the proxy automatically sends it without the user having to browse the pages.
Benefits of Using a Proxy Server
Using a proxy server has several advantages. Some of these advantages include increased security, anonymity, and privacy. Additionally, proxy servers can offer faster download speeds and improved access to content that is blocked in your area.
The following are some of the advantages of utilising a proxy server:
- It makes the user’s security and privacy more secure.
- It conceals the user’s identity (IP address).
- It regulates traffic and prevents collisions.
- By caching data and compressing incoming information, it also saves bandwidth.
- Defend our network from malicious software.
- Access to the restricted material is granted.
Proxy servers can be used for a variety of reasons, the most common of which is to protect your privacy online. In this article, we’ll explain what proxy servers are and how they work, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of using them. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us by following our Instagram page or visiting our website today.